Sunday, August 28, 2005

A Burden Lifted

I arrived at the well at high noon when my shadow was neither right nor left of me, when she was below me and, for the moment, out of sight.

The Blue Racer was draped across my shoulders, her serpent skin reflecting the brilliant blue of the sky. Her body was as the softest of leather. I called her Sunshine because even on the dullest of days, she was a ray of sunshine.

The letter, neatly folded into my pocket, asked forgiveness of many, not the least of which was myself. I was blamed, you see, for many things, most that were beyond my control, and I accepted and shouldered the guilt as if it were my duty to do so. I thought it was ... at the time. I accepted the blame and in turn, blamed others, which I discovered was a recipe for disaster.

I wrote and asked forgiveness of those whom I had, perhaps falsely, blamed. I told them that I was through shouldering the guilt I thought they had placed on my very young shoulders, telling them that it had taken me a very long time, decades in fact, to realize that I was not at fault and neither were they, for they were beings of their time as I am a being of mine. I knew as I approached the fountain that the burden had been lifted. The Serpent, Sunshine, had guided me through the labyrinth and to the fountain whose waters sparkled with the light of the universe. I retrieved the letter from my pocket and held out to the flowing waters. The sunlight caught it and burned, smoldering at first, from the center outward until all that remained were the ashes that floated away in the breeze.

I had cast my burden aside and in-so-doing had relieved others of theirs. Therein lies true forgiveness.

Vi
August 28, 2005

3 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Beautiful writing - love the serpent's name very much and the freedom that comes with it.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Oh, the wars that could (have been)be prevented if we could only realize the power of forgiveness.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Luna said...

Lovely! I think this Well of Forgiveness exists so we may write and ponder, then release and just get on with the rest of our life. I feel a kinship with your words. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home